1 ready-made pie crust
3/4 pound fresh asparagus
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup minced red onion
1/4 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts
1-3/4 cup crumbled fresh goat cheese
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll pie dough to fit a 9-inch loose-bottomed quiche pan. Line pan with pastry; prick base with fork and chill for 30 minutes. Fit a piece of foil into the the pie pan and fill with dried beans or rice. Blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and beans and bake for 15 minutes longer, or until crust is a light golden brown.
2) Place asparagus on a plate; sprinkle with water. Cover loosely with microwavable plastic wrap. Cook on HIGH power for 3 minutes. Let cool slightly. Cut into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
3) Place oil in a medium skillet and saute onion until soft. Spoon onion, hazelnuts and asparagus into the prepared pie crust.
4) Place cheese, eggs and buttermilk in jar of a blender. Process until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste. Pour mixture over pie filling.
5) Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cheese filling is just set. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 6 servings.
This dish can serve as a breakfast entree, a main dish or an appetizer/hors d’oeuvres.
Recipe and photo courtesy of One Perfect Bite.