Lamb and chevre seem to be natural complements to each other. In addition, pistachios and rosemary are so savory and delightful for the palate and the digestion, you can’t help but love this recipe! Thanks to Sweet Grass Dairy for this lovely treat.
1 Lamb Loin (approx 1lb), cleaned and tied
4 oz Fresh Chevre, at room temperature
1/8 cup Roasted Pistachios, finely chopped
1 Tbsp Fresh Rosemary, coarsely chopped
5 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cups Mache, Arugula, or Oak Lettuce (optional), cleaned
Grapeseed oil or other neutral oil for sautéing
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1. Season lamb on all sides with salt and pepper and bring to room temperature.
2. Place a clean sheet pan into oven and preheat to 300°
3. In a bowl, place 4Tbsp olive oil and rosemary, stir to combine, season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside.
4. Heat skillet over medium high heat, add 1 Tbsp oil and when oil is hot, add lamb rotating sides every 2-3 minutes for medium-rare. (If your guests prefer different temperatures for their lamb, divide into portions and cook accordingly.)
5. Once sautéed, transfer lamb onto preheated sheet pan in oven to warm through for approximately, 4-5 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and rest meat for 10 minutes.
Why Should I Let My Meat Rest??
–Intense, direct heat forces the liquid (blood) in the meat away from the heat source, so when it is put into the oven, all of the liquid is essentially in the center of the loin. Resting allows all the blood to redistribute through the meat, so when you slice the loin, the liquid will stay in the meat, and not run all over your cutting
7. While meat is resting, toss salad greens with remaining olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
8. Equally divide salad greens onto one side of the 4 plates and portion about 1oz of Fresh Chevre onto the opposite side of the plate. (The plates do not need to be HOT, but room temperature or slightly warmer would be ideal.)
9. Cut lamb into 1/8” thick slices and arrange on plate between salad greens and Fresh Chevre.
10. Generously sprinkle pistachios over Fresh Chevre.
11. Remix oil and rosemary and spoon over meat.
12. Serve immediately.