Have mercy! I thought I had eaten and baked all of the heavenly chocolate cakes, but no! Here’s one of the best. And you know how I love yogurt cakes. They are d.i.v.i.n.e. Have yourself some, NOW! Thanks, Epicurious!
yield: Makes 1 loaf
active time: 20 min
total time: 2 hr
- 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened, plus additional for buttering pan
- 2/3 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder plus additional for dusting pan
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole-milk plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Special equipment: an 8 1/2- by 4 1/2- by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan (6-cup capacity)
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter pan, then dust with cocoa powder, knocking out excess.
Whisk together flour, 2/3 cup cocoa, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Whisk yogurt with water and vanilla in another bowl. Beat 3/4 stick butter with sugar in a large bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture. Add yogurt mixture, then remaining flour mixture, mixing until just combined.
Transfer batter to pan and bake until a skewer inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool in pan on a rack 15 minutes, then turn out onto rack to cool completely.