This post comes from a blogger known as Gamedayr (and was improved upon by dear friend Cindee). It is further proof that any recipe calling for cream cheese can be improved by replacing the cream cheese with fresh goat cheese (Chèvre) — more tang, less fat, more freshness! Even though football season is over for this year, you can still indulge in dip while watching the Olympics, golf, or whatever else is your wintertime indoor relaxation favorite! But unless you are hosting a large crowd, consider halving the recipe as it makes A LOT!
- 2 cups crabmeat
- 8 ounce softened fresh goat cheese (Chèvre)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup white Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 16 oz. artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried dill, or to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Old Bay and other seasonings to taste (e.g., pepper, salt, paprika or chipotle, worcestshire sauce), if you feel the need for a more piquant taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 F (200 degrees C).
- 2. Lightly grease an 8×8 inch square baking pan.
- 3. Combine all ingredients, other than Parmesan cheese, and mix well.
- 4. Spread dip into baking pan.
- 5. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 6. Bake for 20 minutes.
- 7. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- 8. Serve with crackers, tortilla chips, or toasted bread.