So I’m surfing around this morning, grazing on Laura Werlin’s blog, CheeseChickChat, Madame Fromage and the like, and I stumbled upon a blog I’d forgotten about, “It’s not you, it’s Brie.” From there, I got to Know Whey, and look what I found there:
Praline Squash Applesauce Breakfast Cake
YUM! Just what I needed to use up a bunch of surplus ingredients, and just perfect for a 5-day party coming up next weekend. My mom turns 80, and we kids are gathering to throw her a party. Breakfast noshes are always needed whenever the family gets together, and this one looks divine. No cheese in it, though. Sorry.
- Make the Topping: In food processor bowl with blade attached, combine all topping ingredients and pulse until crumbly. Remove this to a covered bowl while preparing the cake.
- Make the Cake: In the food processor, combine Wet Ingredients, pulsing to combine after each addition.
- Add the shortening, pulsing to combine well
- Add the Dry Ingedients, pulsing to just combine (do not overwork).
- With a spoon, Stir in the Nuts and Fruit. Batter is now ready to use.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350F, then open oven door and sprinkle topping on the cake. Resume baking and continue for another 15 to 20 minutes, until the cake is browned and slightly puffed. Check for doneness in the center of the cake with a toothpick, which should come out clean.
- When done, remove cake to rack to cool for 15 minutes, then remove the outer pan, if using a removable-bottom pan.